27 March 2017
A very large fatal landslide at Nichke-Sai in Uzgen, Kyrgyzstan yesterday
The village of Nichke-Sai in Uzgen in the Osh region of Kyrgyzstan was struck by a large landslide yesterday. Reports are somewhat sketchy – the only one in English I can find is on AKIpress – but the indications are that a family of six people were killed. A local news site, Turmush, has a report in Russian that Google translates well.
According to preliminary data, in the village of Nichke-Sai of the Uzgen District on the site of Top-Zhangak on March 26 a desolate landslide covered one residential building. There were 6 people in the house: the owner, his wife and 4 children.
The site provides a really good image of the landslide, which appears to be both large and mobile:
Meanwhile, the AKIpress report includes a view of the upper reaches of the landslide:
The landslide is interesting given that there is still extensive snow cover. Note that the scar appears to lie in a steep scar high on the slope, with the slide then entraining a large volume of material downslope. The material looks to be fine-grained, with no sign of boulders. Kyrgyzstan is affected by fairly frequent landslides in loess – who can forget this amazing video of a loess landslide from there in May of last year. I would speculate that this is another such example.
Previous posts on loess landslides:
- The location of the Kyrgyzstan loess landslide, as caught on that amazing video
- Do not miss this: video of a catastrophic landslide in loess in Kyrgyzstan
- The Abe Barek Landslide in Badakhshan, Afghanistan
- Badakhshan landslide in Afghanistan – a loess failure?
- Images of the Shanxi loess landslide
- Yaglidere – a dramatic landslide video from Turkey