30 September 2013
Next week is the 50th anniversary of the Vajont disaster – some web resources as a primer
Posted by Dave Petley
Wednesday of next week will mark the 50th anniversary of the Vajont disaster, which occurred on 9th October 1963. This was of course the worst landslide disaster in European history. In addition it marked a watershed in a number of areas, not least landslide management and the development of large dams. On Thursday Michele and I will set off from the UK to attend the conference to mark the anniversary – the organisers were kind enough to invite me to give one of the keynote addresses, which will be on the topic of fatal landslides and large dams over the last decade. I will make it available online in due course.
In the meantime, I thought it would be useful to provide a list of some of the key resources that are available on the dam and the landslide disaster:
- The Vajont 2013 conference website: http://www.vajont2013.info/
- The provisional programme of the Vajont 2013 conference: http://www.vajont2013.info/vajont-pd/
- The Vajont wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vajont_Dam
- The Vajont disaster web pages (In Italian, but well worth a visit): http://www.vajont.net/
- Youtube videos about Vajont: http://www.youtube.com/channel/HCJrpovApD7Qk
- The National Geographic Channel file on Vajont (Seconds from Disaster): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dke5k2pwg8M&list=TLT0n3Z0kGfivEoarkCj7uza8IGSffNEIV
- Tiziano Del Farra’s Vajont.info web resources (in Italian and at times quite harrowing): http://www.vajont.info/#axzz2gMBGZazi This includes some English articles: http://www.vajont.info/eNGLISH/indexArticles.html
- Web pages about the non-scientific events to mark the anniversary: http://www.vajont50.it/
- My own account of the Vajont disaster (on the old site of this blog): http://www.landslideblog.org/2008/12/vaiont-vajont-landslide-of-1963.html
I am happy to add to this list if anyone has any more suggestions.