December 4, 2019
The Virtual Poster Showcase (VPS) is AGU’s twice-annual, virtual student research presentation competition. With the VPS online portal, students who are not able to attend in-person conferences can bring the benefits of a poster session right to their dorm rooms! Our Fall 2019 participants submitted abstracts, created and uploaded research posters, recorded 5-minute videos presenting their research, reviewed their peers’ posters, and responded to expert judge feedback. Presenters were able to learn about their peers’ research while also developing and strengthening their presentation, communication, peer-review, and critical thinking skills.
Without further ado, it is time to announce the Fall 2019 1st-3rd place winners for the Undergraduate and Graduate Showcases, as well as the High School Honorable Mention awardee. All 1st-3rd place lead authors will receive a plaque and a complimentary 2020 AGU student membership. The first-place winners of the Graduate and Undergraduate Showcases earn free registration to Fall Meeting 2020 and a travel grant to support their attendance.
The VPS Team would like to thank all the Fall 2019 student presenters and expert judges who made such an excellent showcase possible. We hope to see you next time at our Spring 2020 showcase!
Graduate Showcase Awardees
- First place goes to Rebecca deGraffenried, a Ph.D. student from the University of Hawaii at Manoa, United States whose project submitted to the Graduate: Volcanology Division was titled “Ground-truthing lava flow propagation models with examples from the 2018 eruption of Kilauea Volcano, HI.” [View video]
- Second place goes to Anitha Ravishankar, a Ph.D. student from Jagiellonian University, Poland, for the work entitled “Beauty and(or) a Beast: Prediction of Arrival time of Coronal Mass Ejections,” submitted to the Graduate: Space Weather Division. [View video]
- Third place goes to Lara Hughes-Allen, a Ph.D. student from Université Paris-Sud, France, for the project, submitted to the Graduate: Earth Sciences Division, entitled “Initial analysis of the greenhouse gas contribution potential of lakes in Central Yakutia (eastern Siberia).” [View video]
Undergraduate Showcase Awardees
- First place goes to Victor Font Bartumeus, a senior from University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, United States, whose project submitted to the Undergraduate: Environmental Sciences Division was titled “Life Cycle Assessment of Earthen Construction Materials.” [View video]
- Second place goes to Nikhil Chari, a senior from the University of California Berkeley, United States, for the work submitted to the Undergraduate: Environmental Sciences Division entitled “Temperature dependency of anaerobic microbial activities in a tropical vs. temperate soil.” [View video]
- Third place goes to Simon Lin, a senior from University of Waterloo, Canada, for the project entitled “Water Quality Responses of Wildfire-Affected Forest Catchments” submitted to the Undergraduate: Environmental Sciences Division. [View video]
- Monica Christopher, a high school student who completed research at University of Alaska Fairbanks Bristol Bay Campus, United States, whose project was titled “Swimmers Itch (Avian Schistosomes): Expanded Range to Lake Aleknagik, Alaska.”
Spring 2020 Virtual Poster Showcase Dates
If you’re interested in developing your research presentation and peer review skills through VPS, join us for the Spring 2020 showcase! Abstract submissions will open on 5 February, and it’s never too early to start preparing.
- Students: Start thinking about your abstract. Your submission could involve research you started this fall, or could include research you plan to develop in the spring.
- Faculty and internship supervisors: Learn how you can incorporate the Virtual Poster Showcase into your curriculum, student fieldwork, or internships. VPS can be a great way to take your curriculum beyond the classroom. Email us at [email protected] to find out more.
Congratulations once again to the winners of the Fall 2019 Virtual Poster Showcase! We hope you’ll join us this spring. Please visit our website on 5 February or email us at any time at [email protected] to register for the spring showcase.